07 December, 2011

Diary of an exhausted girl

Well, we officially passed the one month mark since we've been living in Texas. It's been interesting, it's been fun, but it's been absolutely exhausting. My room is STILL covered in boxes and random STUFF, as is the media room, and the garage (oh yes, I'm parking my punk rocker ugly van in front of my nice, respectable little cottage home. My neighbors must be thrilled. To date, my dogs have escaped TWICE (but, the first time, I was saved by my very own KISA (knight in shining armor), a very sweet man who drove past me, then circled back and helped me catch my dogs, then helped me walk them back. That's right, officially the first (okay 3rd... My sister's boyfriend, Mark, and his daughter, Courtney were like the day before) Texan I met was extremely nice. And that's been the case all along. Granted, the drivers are all insane, but whenever you cross the pass of someone in person, there's something nice said, or a big smile exchanged with everyone. Everyone just kind of excepts people to be nice around here. I keep noticing that people look at me weird when I say excuse me in stores. It's like you can actually hear them saying "oh honey, I KNOW you didn't mean to step in front of me"... but then, that could be because pretty much immediately afterwards, they say something along those lines. But hey, if that's the kind of "you're a freak!!" behavior I get, then I'll take it!

Church has also been interesting. The ward here is a lot smaller than my old ward, and much more spread out. And a lot of people don't know each other, where my old ward, everyone knew everyone. So it's a little less intimate, but not any less comfortable and homey. I had two weeks of taking two steps before someone grabbed me to say hi and introduce themselves. And it usually goes along the lines of "I saw you last week, but you disappeared before I could come over and talk to you." Yeah, that's because someone else found me. You would be shocked how many hugs I get a week from people I don't recognize or know their names. I also get tackled constantly about my shoes. Apparently stilettos aren't a big thing in the ward. Most women I see are wearing flats. So me with my designer heels collection seem to be grabbing some attention.

I even joined the choir. It feels great. I never realized how withdrawn I had become with my music. But I guess I was just needed here, since I walked into the choir the first week, and had the entire choir (about ten people) pretty much at once jump at me and asked what I sang. When I said I could sing either, but preferred alto, they pretty much begged me to do soprano. I found out why very soon after... There is only one soprano, and she can't read music or carry a tune unless someone is singing next to her. So now, after dragging my mom in as well, we have a few sopranos. Whew.

But then, they're going to lose one as well, seeing as LAST week on my WAY to choir practice, I was snagged by a member of the bishopric and asked to be the ward music chair... which in this ward means planning all the music for Sundays, scheduling ward members to perform, planning and putting on all the special music numbers (Christmas, Easter, etc), plus leading during sacrament meeting and... yupp, directing the choir. This girl is going to get very busy. That on TOP of making a conscious effort to get involved with the Young Single Adults, for the first time... ever.  And yet, I STILL can't transfer to the ward, as, once again, I have a full time calling in my home ward. Bahahaha. I'm really not meant for a single's ward, am I? But, I am going to do my very best to attend institute and YSA activities, which I have NEVER done before. Adventure!!!

Let's see... what else? I'm looking for a job. I'm unpacking, cleaning (constantly), attempting to not kill the men in this house (for MAKING me constantly clean), doing homework, cleaning again (and again, trying not to turn to homicide when my lazy brothers tell me I'm lazy and spoiled after I finish cleaning up after them. AGAIN.), cooking, organizing, running errands, attempting to explore the area (not easy, since I'm still kinda AHHHHHH about the crazies on the freeways), preparing for Christmas and my momma's birthday, trying to settle on a design for my room, finding the time to DO that design, be crafty, excersize, swim (yay! we have a swimming pool!) and stay warm (one day: 75 degrees, the next day: 45 degrees.), stay healthy, this is the SECOND time I've been sick since we've been here. Both times it's been bad enough that I am forced to stay in bed. Sucks.  Yes), and.... I think that's it.

Alrighty, I rambled enough.

Love, your exhausted (and currently cranky) friend.

XOXO, Emiebee

No comments:

Post a Comment