16 July, 2011

A few geekies :] (CAKES!)

Good morning, lovelies!
I've been busy! Really really busy! I'm gonna get the hang of this blogging here sooner or later. I keep saving stuff to be put up. But then I never do. Boo. I know. Shame on me. I seriously have a folder that's called 'for blogger'.... and it's not empty. But whatever.


Here I am today sharing some really geeky cakes that I've done lately.


These are both... from my brother's birthdays. Bahahah, random.


I'd like a little disclaimer here, though. I am totally and completely NEW at cake decorating. 
I absolutely would love to hear opinions and tips, but please, be kind. I know they're messy.


On top of that... I just barely started using fondant. And I haven't quite gotten the hold of it. Part of that may be because I use my own fondant instead of store bought, but I really don't intend to buy any anytime soon. I've been told mine is pretty good. :]


BUT anyway, here we go!


This first cake was for my brother, GB, who's birthday was on Sunday, and when I asked what kind of cake he wanted, he said 'ice cream Dalek / Tardis cake'. For those of you who don't speak uber-nerd, they're some weird... things... from the Doctor Who series. I started doing both, but it ended up taking longer than expected, and my time was cut short. So I skipped over the tardis and just made the Dalek. I'm not gonna lie, I'm kinda proud of it, since 1) this is my first attempt at decorating like this and 2) I had no *****ing idea what a stupid Dalek was (I may be a nerd, but I'm not a crazed DW fan). So the fact that this thing resembles what it's supposed to?? ... SUCCESS!

Cakes by Cholle <3 Dalek B-Day cake
 On this cake, my mom was actually the one to make the cake, I just decorated. She apparently couldn't decide what KIND of cake to make, because it ended up being a very messy layer cake as follows - brownie layer, candy bar ice cream layer, tie-dye yellow cake layer, ice cream, brownie. In other words, death by sugar. Especially since this was a HUGE cake. We still have like half of it. (and the day after, a friend brought us ANOTHER cake. Oy).


So this next picture is it all put together (I'm glad I had the sense to realized that it would be stupid to decorate ON the cake. That ice cream would have melted all over the place bahaha)
Cakes by Cholle - Dalek Birthday Cake
This second cake was made for my OTHER brother, Jake, for his birthday a few months back.
Cakes by Cholle! - Panda cake set.
Pretty goofy, I'm fully aware. The panda thing is an inside joke. But again, first try EVER at using fondant (oh, and on top of that, I didn't have food coloring. Yeah, see that blue, yellow, and green? Those were all colored with sugar crystals. Oh yeah, be impressed.)


I had GB's help on this, and I would be minimalistic to say that he and I have different tastes. I try to be very specific and clean, he's artistic. I'm not sure if they meshed very well in this. Oh well.


If you're curious, the cake is actually... not cake at all. It's made out of brownies. Jake could create a new brownie monster. The cupcakes are my own recipe for a white cake... that actually tastes more like sugar cookies. They're pretty darn yummy. Especially with some cream cheese frosting, brown sugar, and cinnamon on top. Yummy!


Oh, and if you're wondering about the candles, that's my brother's age.... in binary. Oh yeah. Nerdtastic.


Well, chillens, that's all I have for you for one night. Until next time, I'm off to go digest insane amounts of cake and ice cream. Ooooof.


xoxo,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment